Beet - Lutz Green Leaf
Lutz Green Leaf Beet has roots that are about 10-15 cm (4- 6") in diameter and can get much bigger without that woody taste or texture. Thin out to 10-15 cm (4-6") spacing to allow the beets room to grow. These reddish - purple beets have a nice sweet flavor. Best harvested when young but maintain their flavour and sweetness even when larger. Lutz Green Leaf is really known for their giant, glossy green tops. An excellent eating and processing beet even well into the fall season. For spring beets, sow seeds in mid-July and cover the bed with mulch in the fall to prevent freezing.
- Direct sow seeds in April to June when soil temperatures have warmed up to at least 10˚C (50˚F). You can soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours before sowing as this will aid in germination, or direct sow at a depth of 5-12mm (¼ - ½”). String a row and etch a furrow about 5mm (½”) deep with a hoe and sow 15-20 beet seeds per 25cm (12”). Cover seeds lightly with soil and water lightly, keeping soil moist while seeds are germinating. Space out rows 35-45cm (14-18”) apart. When beets are about 5cm (2”) high, thin to one plant every 5-12cm (2-5”). Weed as required until beets have the advantage.
- Soil Conditions: Well worked, rich, loose, well-drained soil. Ideal pH: 5.5-7.5.
- Planting Depth: 12mm (½") deep. Space rows 35-45cm (14-18") apart.
- Germination: 10-15 days.
- Height at Maturity: Tops are 40-45 cm, (16-18") tall. Spread is about is 20-30cm (8-12”) wide.
- Days to Maturity: 45-60 days for maturity
- Watering: Beets require a regular supply of water. At least 2.5cm (1”) of water a week ensures good growth. The amount of rain that falls during the week will help supplement how much you should water your garden. Soil should remain mildly moist.
- Sun/Shade: Full Sun
- Spacing after Thinning: Thin beets when they are 5cm (2”) tall and space out to 5-12cm (2-5”).
For small baby beets plant seeds at a rate of 30 seeds per 30cm (12”). For full sized beets, plant seeds at a rate of 15 seeds per 30cm (12”) and for storage, plant beet seeds at a rate of 10 seeds per 30cm (12”). Choice greens can be selected and picked for cooking as well.