Carrot - Solar Yellow
Solar Yellow carrot is a Danvers type carrot that produces a butter – yellow root that grows to an average of 15-18cm (6-7”) long. It is originally from the Middle East and are said to have been cultivated as early as the 14th century. Yellow carrots are slightly sweeter than their orange carrot cousins. Carrots are easy to grow and they require little maintenance other than thinning and weeding.
- Direct sow as soon as you are able to work the soil in the spring. A freeze will not harm them. Sow 3-4 seeds per 2.5cm (1”) at 5-12mm (¼-½") deep. Space rows 30-45cm (12-18") apart. Cover seeds lightly with soil and water lightly. Thin carrots when they are 7-8cm (3”) tall and space out to 2.5cm (1”). Keep soil moist all the time while seeds are germinating.
- Soil Conditions: Well worked, rich, loose well-drained soil. Ideal pH: 6.6-7.5.
- Planting Depth: 5-12mm (¼-½") deep. Space rows 30-45cm (12-18") apart.
- Germination: 10-15 days.
- Height at Maturity: Tops are 20-30cm (7-12”) tall. Spread is about 40-51cm (16-20”)
- Days to Maturity: 65 days for maturity
- Watering: Keep the seedbed evenly moist during the 3 week germination period. Thin the seedlings during the early stages of growth until they are 5 cm (2") apart. Keep the plants evenly watered, weed free and avoid high nitrogen fertilizers. Harvest any time after the carrot roots develop good colour. Carrots require a regular supply of water. At least 2.5cm (1”) of water a week ensures good growth, whether vegetables are grown in single or wide rows. The amount of rain that falls during the week will help supplement how much you should water your garden. Too little water may result in excessively hairy roots (produced to search for water), or woody roots with marked rings. Too much water may cause the roots to split. Soil should remain mildly moist.
- Sun/Shade: Full Sun
- Spacing after Thinning: Thin carrots when they are 7-8cm (3”) tall and space out to 2.5cm (1”).
For small baby and bunching carrots plant seeds at a rate of 45 seeds per 30cm (12”). For full sized carrots, plant seeds at a rate of 30 seeds per 30cm (12”) and for storage carrots plant seeds at a rate of 15 seeds per 30cm (12”).